Crossover Battles! (...vs...)
Thank you for logging in/out! If you're logging in, we hope you have fun. If you're logging out, we hope you had it.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for logging in/out! If you're logging in, we hope you have fun. If you're logging out, we hope you had it.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Introduction - Like you haven't seen one
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyThu Aug 06, 2015 4:54 am by Cosmic Ocean

» Favorite SF and Fantasy
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptySat Jun 21, 2014 6:01 pm by White Queen

» The Flash vs. The Amazing Spider-Man
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 12:12 am by Terminus

» Intro Thingy
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 11:24 pm by Terminus

» Do I dare? Albus Dumbledore vs. Gandalf the Grey.
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 7:13 pm by White Queen

» [Generic Introduction Title]
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 3:38 am by Cosmic Ocean

» Reapers vs. Borg
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 1:27 am by Cosmic Ocean

» Off-topic Rules
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 11:29 pm by Cosmic Ocean

» Introduction
Favorite SF and Fantasy EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 10:27 pm by White Queen

Favorite SF and Fantasy

3 posters

Go down

Favorite SF and Fantasy Empty Favorite SF and Fantasy

Post by Cosmic Ocean Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 am

Pretty simple. What are your favorite works of science fiction and/or fantasy? Any medium goes.
Cosmic Ocean
Cosmic Ocean
Admin
Admin

https://crossoverbattles.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Favorite SF and Fantasy Empty Re: Favorite SF and Fantasy

Post by Terminus Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:10 am

You knew this was coming Wink

Without a doubt, my favorite work of Science Fiction of all time are the novels and tales of Issac Asmiovs Foundation universe.

From Wikipedia:

The Foundation series is a science fiction series by Isaac Asimov. Seven volumes are in the Foundation series proper, which in its in-universe chronological order are Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation, Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Foundation's Edge, and Foundation and Earth.

The premise of the series is that the mathematician Hari Seldon spent his life developing a branch of mathematics known as psychohistory, a concept of mathematical sociology (analogous to mathematical physics). Using the laws of mass action, it can predict the future, but only on a large scale; it is error-prone on a small scale. It works on the principle that the behaviour of a mass of people is predictable if the quantity of this mass is very large (equal to the population of the galaxy, which has a population of quadrillions of humans, inhabiting millions of star systems). The larger the number, the more predictable is the future.

Using these techniques, Seldon foresees the imminent fall of the Galactic Empire, which encompasses the entire Milky Way, and a dark age lasting 30 thousand years before a second great empire arises. Seldon's psychohistory also foresees an alternative where the intermittent period will last only one thousand years. To ensure his vision of a second great empire comes to fruition, Seldon creates two foundations—small, secluded havens of all human knowledge—at "opposite ends of the galaxy".

The focus of the series is on the First Foundation and its attempts to overcome various obstacles during the formation and installation of the Second Empire. All the while (and often unknown to its major actors), it is being silently guided by the unknown specifics of the Seldon plan.

The series is best known for the Foundation Trilogy, which comprises the books Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation. While the term "Foundation series" can be used specifically for the seven Foundation books, it is also used more generally to include the Robot series (four novels) and Empire series (three novels). These seven books are set in the same fictional universe as the initial seven, but in earlier time periods. If all works are included, in total, 14 novels, as well as dozens of short stories, were written by Asimov. Also, seven novels were written by other authors after Asimov's death, which expand the time spanned in the original trilogy (roughly 550 years), by more than 20 thousand years. The series is highly acclaimed, and the Foundation Trilogy won the one-time Hugo Award for "Best All-Time Series" in 1966.

Loads of interesting themes, concepts, and technologies. Arguably the best all-time SF series.
Terminus
Terminus

https://www.youtube.com/user/FlareBoostGames

Back to top Go down

Post by White Queen Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm not overly frequent with works of sci-fi, I'm more of a fantasy kind of person.

I would say my favorite sci-fi type novel would have to be The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. I love time travel in fiction. One of my favorite TV shows is Doctor Who, which also deals with time travel. I prefer soft sci-fi as opposed to hard sci-fi although I wouldn't be opposed to reading some if someone recommended something good to me.

Now, for fantasy. Obviously, all of Tolkien's works are very near and dear to me, but my current favorite fantasy series is A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. (I'm also a fan of the HBO adaptation of the novels.) I love the characters and the multiple viewpoints and the way that it becomes difficult to pinpoint one exact villain when you see it from their point of view. It has kickass ladies, knights, wars, magic, gods, evil gods, warrior tribes, all set within a really interesting world. Naturally the worldbuilding doesn't match Tolkien's, but I find it intriguing. Also, dragons. C'mon. Dragons.

I'm also a fan of the Harry Potter series, which essentially shaped my childhood. Reppin' Slytherin since age 7.  Cool
White Queen
White Queen

http://www.avidscribbler.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum